Saturday, March 1, 2008

Sneak Peak



















Grandma and P-Pa took Natalie with them to the store and Layla is taking her morning nap (at least that's what I'm telling myself, although I can hear her playing in there) so I find myself alone on a Saturday morning. How convenient is it that Sewing with Nancy is on, something no one else in the family ever lets my watch if they're around :)

I am awash in a Mermaid Kingdom today, as I prepare for Natalie's party. Here is the head of the mermaid cake. I know my frosting technique could use some work, but the face looks pretty good, if I must say so myself. I had to re-bake the tail part this morning, since I didn't have a real cake pan and it wouldn't flip out of the pan I was using. Do you know, it is impossible to find cake mixes that aren't "super moist"? And it's getting harder to find frosting that isn't Whipped too. These things do not work well for cakes that need to flip out of the pan and get cut into mermaid-shaped pieces! I suppose if I continue making my kids' b-day cakes, I will have to make the cake and frosting all from scratch. *sigh*

Here also is a picture of the box of decorations and activities. Here are my free tips for frugal kids' parties.
  1. Use fabric you have on hand to decorate tables. I have toooooonnnnns of fabric, and I have found something to go with every party I've thrown so far.
  2. Buy solid colors of plates, napkins, etc. Use other things to get the theme across, (like the fabric or a centerpiece) because those fancy schmancy plates and things are way too expensive to buy so many of.
  3. Skip the favors and do a take-home craft instead. Party favors are just a bunch of junk and the cost really adds up. I promise, these little favors end up in the trash sooner than you can imagine! And, as far as crafts go, you'd be surprised what you can do with paper plates! Try this or this.
  4. Plan the party at a time when a meal is not necessary and just buy snacks. This will save so much money and you won't have to worry about how many people are coming and if you ordered enough pizza!
I think all together this party has cost me $40, but I am proud to say, I threw Natalie's first b-day party for only ten bucks. It can be done with some creativity!

No comments:

Post a Comment