Saturday, March 15, 2008

Mmmmm



















I did not grow up eating potato soup, since my Mom did not like it, so I never tried it until I was an adult and now I really love it. I made a big crock-pot full yesterday and we ate it for dinner, so I thought I'd share a little non-recipe :) This is how we make potato soup around here:

Chop up a bunch of potatoes and toss them into the crock pot. (That's what Natalie's doing in the second pic.) We have a big pot and we've filled it all the way up to feed about 10 people, but last night I filled it about half full with taters to feed us and a guest. Then, chop up a bunch of carrots and celery and throw them in there too. Fill the pot with water until it just covers the ingredients, but pay attention to how many cups you're using, since next you need to put in as many beef bullion cubes as cups of water you used. Next, put 3 or 4 Tbls. of butter and some salt and pepper in to top it all off and let 'er cook for several hours. You can use your judgment on the high or low thing. Yesterday I had it on low from about 10 am until 1pm, then on high until dinner time. But, WAIT, you're not done yet! After several hours, the potatoes will be nice and soft. When that happens, drain as much water as you can from the pot and fill instead with evaporated milk until the ingredients are just covered. Let that cook until nice and hot, stirring every now and then so the potatoes get nice and mushy. Serve with chives, cheese and even bacon bits if you have them and enjoy!

P.S. Throughout my first trimester, I would get so irritated to click on certain blogs I read and find pictures of food that always looked so gross to me during that time. So, if any of my readers here are in that boat, I sincerely apologize! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment