Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Things to do in North Platte, NE

Casey's been in Nebraska for a few weeks (again) so the kids and I drove up to North Platte for the weekend, where he was staying and hung out with him for a few days. It was great! I'm so glad we got to get away and could keep him company over a weekend.

We were warned that there's "not much to do in North Platte", but we were okay with that. We went to the hotel pool every day and we hit the two attractions: the Bailey Rail Yard and Buffalo Bill Cody's Fort and gift shop.  Oh, and of course, Walmart, an embarrassing number of times.






Saw some pretty funny signage too:
Ummmm, don't all drinks from fast food joints include a free straw??


This was on a door, right by the handle. Pulling was obvious.

But, THEN! We discovered North Platte's best kept secret: The Goodwill!!! A vintage gold mine, let me tell ya, and sooooo cheap!! It's funny what some people think is a bunch of old junk, us city folk call "vintage" and just loooooove.
Here's just some of my loot:
 Check out that suitcase! And the lap tray is in its original package. Who keeps something for decades and doesn't take even take the wrapper off?? I don't know about you, but if something in my house doesn't get used for a year, it's outta here!
 An original game of Trouble, with all the pieces!
 I got three of the Thermos snack jars--and again with the packaging!
The kids are loving Trouble, they've played a bunch of times. I also scored an Etch-a-Sketch for a dollar. Our dentist has one and they all love it, so I've had my eyes peeled. Score!

My best find might have been the massive bag of vintage patterns for ... wait for it ... $1.50!!!! There are probably about 30 patterns in there, from the 60's to the 80's. I'm going to resurrect my Etsy shop and share the love. Maybe if I sell some of my great finds, I can realistically call myself a "professional thrifter". Ha!

1 comment:

  1. FUN! I wish I were with you:) Glad you got to get out and visit... and you are SUPER MOM taking them all on a road trip by yourself! WHOA! Can't wait to see some of your creations from the patterns!

    ReplyDelete