Monday, May 14, 2012

Get Fit, Part 1

Well, life has morphed into summer mode here. We finished up our homeschool year and I think about blogging daily, but rarely actually get to it (obviously) but it has occurred to me that I have allowed myself to think this is a "sewing" blog only and my life is certainly not only sewing, particularly lately, so I'm just gonna blog about whatever! That's okay, right?? I don't have to have a blog genre that I neatly fit inside, do I?? I think liberating myself from trying to blog in a box will allow for much more blogging and much more fun on my part--hopefully yours too :)

So, I have done a little sewing (don't worry, I still do that!) but I've also been gardening, traveling, preparing to travel, cooking, reading and exercising. All while Casey's been outta town what feels like most of the year so far and while trying to come up with a good and fun plan to keep our days somewhat scheduled so we don't get the Summer whinies.

Today, though, I really want to talk about health and fitness!! If you met me in the last year or two, you might not believe that I was 50 pounds heavier shortly before then.

Here's proof. See??
Granted, Kelby was still pretty tiny, but with each pregnancy, I gained and retained a little more weight. When he was 8 months old, I bought a scale. I was floored to find out that I was the same weight as my very tall husband. I just didn't feel like myself! So, I got busy. I grabbed a notebook, wrote a prayer in it (because I knew the Lord wanted the best of health for me!) and started writing down everything I ate. I started paying attention to serving sizes and calories in things and eventually completely cut out sugar for a good while, which is a story in itself! Interestingly, when you know you're gonna have to write it down, you hesitate a bit more before eating the junk :) This notebook contained a chart of numbers to cross off (from where I started to where I wanted to finish) and many prayers and notes. Eventually, I didn't need it anymore because my palette had shifted, I craved the healthier foods and it became natural to eat well.

Here is our family photo from the very next year--50 pounds lighter:


Anyway, it's been over two years since I lost that weight and I have been feeling like the Lord just wanted me to share this story because I feel like there may be someone out there that just needs to be told, "You can do it!" If I can, you can. I'm tellin' ya! I was never a self-disciplined person, I have a hard time breaking and forming habits, and I have always had a huge sweet tooth, but by the grace of God, I have come a loooooong way in these areas. Praise the Lord!

So, this wasn't intended to be just "part 1", but I have so much more to share because the journey did not end with the weight loss for me! Stay tuned for more, but I'd be happy to answer any questions or offer what help I can regarding this issue! I'm no expert, but I know a little :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow! You go girl! You look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! That first picture is very much like what I looked like after gaining 61 pounds when pregnant with my son. I've lost most of it, but we're thinking about trying for a third... and I'm dreading going back there. I want to try to avoid it this next time and not just eat the bagels everyday because "I'm craving them"... I want to consciously do better. I love the idea of a written journal.

    Love the haircut in the second family picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. You look wonderful! I found myself eating sweets and before I knew it gained about 10 lbs. Then got sick with pain from rotator cuff tear and have lost that and more. Not the way to lose it but I do feel much better in the weight area. Don't want to go back. I can't wait to see part 2. After I get this shoulder took care of I want to start exercising. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After 5 kids, I too had put on quite a bit of weight. I'm on the way down but it's taking quite a bit (I have lost it all before but after a miscarriage I gained most of it back. Eek - not great!)

    ReplyDelete