Thursday, October 8, 2009

Eat, eat, then eat some more

First of all, THANK YOU for the tips about blogger. Sometimes it can be sooo irritating :) But, I looked into some other options and I think I'm going to try Flock to maybe make posting easier. SO, thanks for helping me realize I can use something else to form posts!

I have a couple of favorite food magazine I'd like to share. The first is Martha Stewart's Everyday Food, which is NOTHING like the recipes in her Living magazine (meaning super complicated and time consuming, with lots of obscure ingredients.) Rather, these have simple, fresh, everyday food ideas. A lot of them are even non-recipes, just a veggie idea, etc... The other is Clean Eating, which I have more recently discovered. In our quest to get the sugar out, this is a GREAT resource for us. The following two recipes are from this magazine and are excellent.

Tomato and Feta Salad

2 pints cherry tomatoes
1/2 pound feta cheese, crumbled (about 2 cups)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
Salt and Pepper

In a medium bowl, toss the tomatoes with the feta. Drizzle with the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss. Top with the thyme. (We skipped the thyme and used fresh, chopped basil instead and I think it really added a lot.)

Coco Cran Nut Muffins

1 cup spelt flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 medium apple, peeled and diced
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup unsalted pecans, chopped
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup plain or Greek yogurt
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 eggs
1/2 honey
1 1/4 cup fresh or frozen cranberries (I actually used blueberries and they worked fine.)

1. Preheat over to 375. Prepare muffin tin with paper liners or cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, combine flours, oats, cocoa powder, salt, apple baking soda and powder, and pecans. Stir until combined.
3. in a large bowl, mis together buttermilk, yogurt, vanilla, eggs and honey. Add dry mixture to wet and stir until moistened. Then gently stir in cranberries. Fill muffin cups halfway. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Let cool for 5 minutes.

ALSO, I've made some progress on the cupcake costumes today. I was almost giddy after finishing the muffin cups, they turned out so cute. I was wishing I had retained a little bit more geography in school, though :) I hope to have the finished product to show you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment