Friday, July 11, 2008

Loot! and Quilt Progress

The girls and I went over to our church garage sale today. We got there pretty early and I'm so glad we did so I could snatch up these treasures! Not that most people would consider all these things treasures, but I do :) I got a dozen brand new jelly jars, which should make my mother-in-law so happy since we usually get together and make jelly for Christmas gifts. AND, five pillow cases fit for some little dresses AND some AMAZING vintage ball-fringe, which I'm always on the lookout for since I love it, but usually can't afford to buy it by the yard. AND, three vintage plushie patterns-a quarter for all three! Yay! I don't know if you can see that polka-dotted puppy, but I think that one tops my list of must-makes. Not pictured--the massive pink tutu for Natalie I also got for a quarter. Her other one slowly bit the dust since I had to wash it many times during our potty training saga. Whew! I'm glad that's over.

On to the quilt. Squaring up is a pain. I have tons of these little hourglass squares (about 150, I think) and since I know that skipping the squaring up is a big quilting no-no, I have been diligent to make sure they all measure right as I go. Almost done with that step and I must say, I'm mighty happy with (almost) all my perfectly matched corners :) This quilt is called Spice is Nice and was featured in a Quilts & More magazine. I found this picture, so you can see what it will look like. This is my biggest quilt so far, so Casey's very excited. He complains that the other two I've made are too small for him to stretch out under, since he's pretty tall. He wants a super-huge one, but I'm working up to that.


















Also, a few side notes: I don't know if anyone else watches So You Think You Can Dance, but I do (I'm a dork, I know) and on last night's show, Katy Perry, wearing almost nothing, sang her hit single, "I Kissed a Girl." A dangerously catchy song and I say "dangerous" because the lyrics are so screwed up. Anyway, there is an amazing post about this song on Virtue Alert, one of my favorite blogs. Can you believe Katy Perry (formerly Katy Hudson) is a pastor's daughter and her first CD was a Christian album?? Anyway, go read the post, it's enlightening.

Lastly, I came across this blog, and I think it's a great idea to reach out to kids with critically ill siblings. The best part, I think, is that instead of having to make a whole quilt yourself, you can contribute a block or two to certain quilts that she posts there. Pretty cool, I think, so go check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment