Friday, April 11, 2008

A Reading List

Casey has been working nights at UPS for quite some time now and although I miss being able to turn in together every night, I have really come to cherish my five weekly "reading nights". I usually go to bed pretty early and then do quite a bit of reading before turning out the light. Here is a list of the books that have been enriching my life recently.
  1. Passionate Housewives Desperate for God. I know I have mentioned this book before, but I just cannot express all the ways it has changed my life, attitude and perspective about being a stay-at-home-mom. I think this is a must-read for every Christian mother at home.
  2. The Fruit of Her Hands. This book was written by my sister's former pastor's wife and she gave it to my before I married Casey. I have actually read this three or four times in our almost seven years of marriage and just finished it again. Every time, I am so blessed, challenged and encouraged. Just as I believe every Christian mommy should read the previous book, I think this ought to be read by every Christian wife.
  3. Face to Face. This is another book from my sister and addresses hospitality and friendship in two parts. A great challenge to build Christian community.
  4. The Hidden Art of Homemaking. I just started this book last night, but already I'm excited to keep reading. Here's a favorite quote so far: "Why does man have creativity? Why can man think of many things in his mind, and choose, and then bring forth something that other people can taste, smell, feel, hear and see? Because man was created in the image of a Creator. Man was created that he might create. It is not a waste of man's time to be creative. It is not a waste to pursue artistic or scientific pursuits in creativity, because this is what man was made to be able to do. he was made in the image of a Creator, and given the capacity to create." (p. 24)
  5. Living Simply. I read this book some time ago now, but still think about it often. It's written by a young mother, so I found it easy to relate. She has some great ideas about simple living.
Also, something else I've been enjoying is a sermon series by Pastor Wilson (husband of The Fruit of Her Hands author) called Loving Little Ones. You can download the podcasts here or buy the series on CD here.

1 comment:

  1. I love your picture... so creative! Nice job! Those sound like great books and whenever I find time to read anything other than my Bible (that's even hard these days) and photography info, I'll have to give one of them a try! :) You are an amazing wife, mom and friend!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete