Wednesday, February 26, 2014

basic black

I've been thinking a lot about wardrobe planning. If you've been following me here for awhile, you might know that we started a serious overhaul of our "stuff" maybe a year ago. I honestly believe at this point that we have pared down by half. It's a good thing, too, because the amount of junk we had room for in our old house would have made us crazy living here.

My wardrobe did not escape the purge. I recently did yet another clean out of my closet and gave two huge bags of clothes to a friend who wears them and loves them. Even a few of my handmade things--out the door. That was hard! But, she's wearing them and I wasn't. So, really, it's better.

That said, I think this is the smallest my wardrobe has been in my adult life. But, somehow, I feel like I have more to wear than ever. Isn't that funny!? Part of the reason is that I've been focusing on making pieces that go with other pieces. Having a color palette in mind, with a couple go-to neutrals (mine tend to be black and navy/denim) and then a few color genres. I gravitate toward two color palettes usually. One is a nautical look with blues, kelly green, some coral and white. Another is pink, gray and plum. Pinterest has come in very helpful in this effort to pinpoint what I like. Looking over your style board, you might notice some trends! My mom reminded me that wine is considered a neutral, which explains why that wine colored Stitchfix cardigan matches everything!

Anywaaaaaay, with all this in mind, I've wanted a basic black dress for awhile. Not a fancy LBD that works for cocktail parties, to which I have never been, but an everyday black dress that can be styled a myriad of ways. I finally landed a great knit at JoAnn's last weekend when all the clearance was half off.

I used McCall's 6744, one I've made a couple times before:
 After the dress was completely done, I had to take it apart to take huge chunks out of the sides. I think the bodice is supposed to drape, but this look was not working with this knit, it's too substantial. In the end, I'm glad I made the effort to get it right. The fabric is a perfect weight, with a crinkly texture.
 This purple wrap cardigan is one a made months ago and had literally nothing to wear it with. Dumb! It's such a soft rayon knit and I love the print so much, so I'm glad I finally have way to wear it.
 This button down plaid top is one I just made! I'm really proud of it and it matches several other things I've made, so I'll give it it's own post soon.
 I wore the dress with a simple cardigan yesterday.
I've been sewing fool this week! I whipped up a very simple top yesterday, can't wait to show you!

Cheers :)

7 comments:

  1. I made a blouse, one time, it took me like three weeks to finish it, and then I posted about it the same day you posted about five things you had sewn in 3 hours....coincidence?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you have been sewing a lot-,it is so gratifying, I'm sure. Nice dress!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you have been sewing a lot-,it is so gratifying, I'm sure. Nice dress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. All of them look nice and no one would ever know you made them. And to make so many as fast as you do is amazing. I need to make better use of my time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect! You look so cute in this dress. I had the same blousing problem with this pattern and also ended up taking out the extra fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it's just perfect, really...perfect! It's so cool how each picture is a completely different look all with the same base dress.

    www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete