Friday, August 19, 2011

My Sewing Nook

Remember me telling you how a spider had babies in my sewing room?? That actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise :) Because of that little incident, I spent about a week doing all my sewing on our dining room table.  I loved it. I got so much more sewing time in because I didn't have to wait until the kids were busy or down for bed to go hole up and sew! Because of this, I decided to move my sewing downstairs.

I am lucky enough to have both a living room and a family room, a dining room and an eat-in kitchen. I took one end of the living room, brought an unused desk over from my Mom's (which I had actually painted years ago, in a color that I still love, thankfully) and had Casey drag up a shelf from the basement that was left here when we moved in. Then, after that, I had him drag it outside and cut the legs shorter and then drag it back in. What a guy :)

Anyway, here's where I'm sewing now...
I opted for the window on the end that isn't the first thing you see from the front door and where the couch sort of separates things from the living room. I think it looks so pretty! Who says a living room workspace has to be an eyesore???
My little spot has some of my favorite special things in it: A washboard that was my grandmother's, vintage drawing books that were my Mom's when she was a kid, an old shoe pin cushion that was my other grandmother's, a tile my friend Jenn made me that I use as a pattern weight, a china bowl Casey brought home from Iraq, the Matroyshka doll my Dad got me in Russia and some inspiring little Mary Engelbreit prints (still miss her magazine!)

My fabric, patterns and many supplies are still stored up in the guest room and the spiders have been taken care of thanks to my trusty Terminix guy, in case you're wondering.  While I was moving furniture, I went ahead and painted that room. I did it with no taping, in a room full of furniture and three kids in the room with me and it took me about 2 hours. That's how you know you've painted an entire house from top to bottom. I now consider myself a pro :)

I snapped this picture of Kelby's room after we tidied it yesterday. Now that he has his new bed, he really seems to own his room. Before it was just a place to sleep, but now he arranges his toys, sweet-talks the girls into making his bed just how he likes it, etc...

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful sewing nook! I love that you sit in front of the window. Great lighting! And where did your get the world and compass for the wall? What a great big boy room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love this! Good to see all that good family stuff being repurposed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so inspired by your sewing room. I want to paint my sewing table like that and I love the thread holder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the cutest sewing nook!

    As for the spider, I have a friend who found a spider with seven sacks of eggs, and one huge one inside her! She found it while cleaning out her couch,and was immediately disgusted, of course!

    I'm glad your spider incident led to this wonderful nook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the sunshine & colors in your sewing nook are fabulous !!!

    ReplyDelete