1. My new stove-top espresso maker. I stopped drinking drip coffee and now I only make lattes for myself here at home. I had a cheap aluminum one of these (that I've blogged about before) but I ordered a new stainless steel one and am really enjoying it! (It's this one.) And, since I don't eat refined sugar, I thought I'd share some natural options with you. You can use any combination of the following, along with a packet of Truvia (or other Stevia product): cinnamon, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, or any other extract you think would taste good for that matter. I like to sprinkle some cinnamon on top too. Mmmm. I could share an entire home-latte-making tutorial here if anyone expresses interest :)
2. This book, Freedom of Simplicity by Richard Foster. I have enjoyed his books before, so I knew I would like this one. Here's a quote:
" Jesus Christ and all the writers of the New Testament call us to break free of mammon lust and live in joyous trust. Their radical criticism of wealth is combined with a spirit of unconditional generosity. They point us toward a way of living in which everything we have we receive as a gift, and everything we have is cared for by God, and everything we have is available to others when it is right and good. This reality frames the heart of Christian simplicity. It is the means of liberation and power to do what is right and to overcome the forces of fear and avarice." (p. 58)
3. Tulle on a Spool. Have you seen this?? I needed a little bit of tulle to make a Groovy Girl tutu and this spool was perfect. It comes with something like 35 yards! and I have great plans for the rest of it already.
...Such as some skirts like these ones, perhaps? (from Old Navy)
4. Magpie Patterns! I stumbled on this site the other day and ordered both a crochet pattern and a Princess and the Pea embroidery pattern. Since they were pdf files, I downloaded them right away and didn't pay shipping, obviously. Great site and awesome that they support artists like that.
5. I'm looking forward to celebrating my boy along with MADE through the month of February. It's only the 2nd and I already want to make everything she's posted so far for Kelby :) Lots of giveaways, tutorial and general boy inspiration. Super fun.
6. Last night's dinner. YUMMMMY! I had some deli pastrami in the freezer, so I pulled it out and started looking for sandwich ideas online. The first one I clicked on was an Emeril recipe (with beer, of course :) and it was REALLY good. I would type it out, but why would I do that when I can just direct you here? Also, after I took the meat out, I spooned some of the marinade into a skillet and sauteed some julienne zucchini slices in it. Again, YUM. Casey loved it all, which means it was a success :)
7. Last, but not least, some new music I've been enjoying:
- Layla (Unplugged) by Eric Clapton (We got Layla's name from this song. Casey used to play and sing it on his guitar and my sister reminded me recently that Layla had never actually heard it!)
- Hey, Soul Sister by Train
- I Love by the Avett Brothers
- Turn Back Around by Lucy Schwartz
- Lay 'Em Down by Needtobreathe
- Hymn by Brooke Fraser
- Angel of the Morning by Blackman & the Butterfly
- What I Wouldn't Do by A Fine Frenzy
- Bird of the Summer by A Fine Frenzy
- Everybody by Ingrid Michaelson
- Fireflies by Owl City