This little pot holder mitt idea stemmed from this tutorial. That version is beautiful! But, I needed something designed for mass production so I tweaked it a bit, eliminated the finicky binding (I never get machine sewn bindings to look good!) and changed the dimensions just a bit. Here's the finished product:
What you need:
- Two 11x7 pieces for your main fabric (a quarter yard will work, a fat quarter will not)
- Two 10x7 pieces for your pockets
- An 11x7 piece of Insul-Brite. This is a heat resistant fabric made for projects like this and you can find it at your fabric store in the utility fabrics section. It's $7.99 a yard, but I had a half off coupon so it was really inexpensive. Plus, I've made ten of these and probably have enough for ten more.
- An 11x7 piece of cotton batting. I have plenty of scraps and if you don't, I bet someone you know who sews does!
- A walking foot if possible.
- A strong needle, a 90 probably. I used an 80, but my machine is semi-industrial.
Let's get started! You should have cut your fabric to look like this:
I hope you enjoyed this little tutorial!! If you make some, I'd love to see them, so link me in the comments!! And if you make many, I hope your sewing table has as pretty of a mess on it as mine does ;)